Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Changes


Over the past year and half Ashlyn has attended the Lincoln Early Childhood Center, where I feel she has progressed by leaps and bounds. 


Ashlyn's story: When Ashlyn was six months old, we began to notice odd behaviors. She threw uncontrollable tantrums in which she would bang her head against the wall. She began echoing everything she heard and was not making progress in her language development. The only way she would fall asleep was when I held her extremely close and rubbed her back or arms. After her first birthday I began to notice more of her repetitive behaviors, such as staking blocks in perfect lines, cutting paper into almost identical little pieces, and self stimulation. Adjustments were incredibly difficult for her and it took hours sometimes to calm her down. I also noticed she became incredibly focused on learning her shapes and colors. She would almost instantly hum back tunes she heard, all around 18 months. I automatically assumed she had autism. I turned to my mother, who is a speech-language-pathologist, autism specialist and an Intensive Behavior Intervention (IBI) trainer. She reiterated to me just how important early intervention was (which I am of course a strong advocate for, don't wait) for children like Ashlyn. She helped me find appropriate services and gave me ideas how we could help Ashlyn at home. We became dedicated to helping our child. 

Ashlyn has come so far, she really is not the same child. During a recent psych evaluation we discovered that Ashlyn now has a mild form of PDD-NOS. I am quite aware of how unique our situation is, I thank my Heavenly Father for blessing us! I am also more than grateful to all of Ashlyn's teachers for realizing our little girl's potential and helping her reach her goals. She no longer qualifies for the The Lincoln Center and will be moving on to a new school in the fall. We are excited for the change and look forward to a fun summer.

2 comments:

emiflute said...

I'm glad to hear Ashlyn is doing so well. I think she is just so adorable.
Here's my question for you:
How does pdd-nos differ from Aspergers Syndrome? I worked with a kid with Asperger's, which is also a high functioning form of autism. He had no judgment of time passing, had trouble transitioning, and struggled in the social rehlm as well. He was able to be in a regular classroom setting with the help of an aide to adjust his workload and keep him on task. So what are the differences? I'm just curious.
Also, let me know next time you go visit Jessie. I'll tag along!

Unknown said...

Kellie as a somewhat active bystander for the last couple years I have become a HUGE believer in early intervention. I had no prior knowledge of these things before I moved here, but watching you two and your parenting skills (esp. w/Ashlyn) I am so proud of all of you. Honestly you know I love those girls anyway, but I have also seen amazing changes in her since we met. You guys are truly awesome and I feel like a better person for having known you. You've taught me so much! You are going to be one great SLP oneday.